A major in Environmental Studies allows you the flexibility to pursue your academic interests. We are here to help you navigate all available options.
The adviser, Ana Wieman, is available to answer questions from students interested in the Environmental Studies. Contact Ana via phone (206-616-2461) or email, or drop by for a visit. See advising hours below.
- Prospective freshmen are welcome to schedule a visit to learn more about the program and career opportunities open to graduates.
- Current UW students interested in Environmental Studies will benefit from an advising meeting to discuss how the major might meet their goals.
- Transfer students are especially encouraged to work with Ana to strategize course choices at their current school before applying to UW.
Environmental Studies majors
We encourage current students to meet with the adviser, Ana Wieman, each quarter. If that’s not possible, make sure to stay in touch by email to make sure you’re on track and know about opportunities that might be important to you.
Advising can help in many ways. Reach out to the adviser to:
- Explore Environmental Studies as a possible major
- Declare the Environmental Studies major
- Map out a course plan to meet your academic goals and timeline
- Learn what course substitutions are allowed
- Make corrections or updates to your DARS
- Add a minor or second major
- Prepare for and explore career options
- Obtain permission to take classes that require an ADD CODE or have other restrictions
- Explore opportunities for internships, study abroad and student leadership opportunities
- Identify resources to help resolve academic or other challenges that are affecting your studies
- Determine if study abroad credits can count toward your major
- Understand your graduation requirements and ensure you are meeting all the criteria
- Apply to graduate
- Stay in touch with PoE after graduating. Alumni often host capstone students, participate in panel discussions or partner with faculty on projects. Stay involved and remain connected.
Autumn quarter advising drop-in hours, located in Wallace Hall
“If I’m in the office, I’m happy to see students. Drop by anytime!” – Ana.
To schedule an advising appointment email Ana and include:
- your name
- student ID#
- times you are available, and
- the purpose of your appointment or the questions you need answered (if emailing)
Ana will get back to you within one work day (M-F). If for some reason you don’t get a response, please email again!
We encourage you to review our Advising FAQ prior to contacting us as you might find your answer there. We are here to help; feel free to reach out!