There are three types of honors at the UW: Interdisciplinary Honors, Departmental Honors and College Honors. For more information about how various honors designations appear on your transcript, visit the University Honors Program page.
Students qualify for Departmental Honors if they meet specific GPA requirements and complete honors coursework and honors capstone requirements as listed below. Students interested in pursuing Departmental Honors should contact the adviser.
- Minimum cumulative 3.40 UW GPA
- Minimum cumulative 3.60 GPA in all courses used to fulfill major requirements
Honors Coursework (4 credits from any combination of the following courses)
- ENVIR 489: Peer Teaching in Environmental Studies
- ENVIR 497: Honors Seminar
- ENVIR 498: Independent Study
- ENVIR 499: Independent Research
Honors Capstone Experience (3 additional credits)
- As part of fulfilling the Capstone sequence (ENVIR 490, 491, 492), honors students must complete 8 credits of ENVIR 491 (to be pre-arranged with Capstone instructor).
- Presentation of Capstone Project at an approved research symposium or conference.
Environmental Studies students who complete Departmental Honors will receive a degree “with Honors in Environmental Studies.”