Congratulations to our 2018-2019 Environmental Leadership Scholars!

Congratulations to Environmental Studies majors Tiara Adler and Zaya Delgerjargal, our 2018-2019 Environmental Leadership Scholarship recipients!

Program on the Environment, with support from generous donors, awards scholarships to two students each year who demonstrate a passion for environmental studies, integrative thought and action in their academics and activities, and a vision of how they hope to make a positive difference in the world.

Both Tiara and Zaya have shared their gratitude for the scholarship and the support they receive as Environmental Studies majors.

Tiara

This past summer, Tiara was a planning intern for the City of Bainbridge Island and developed a municipal monitoring program for shoreline development permits. She is spending Fall quarter in Cadiz, Spain, immersed in Spanish language learning and continuing her Capstone research regarding global perspectives on sea level rise, and the role of urban and ecological planning.

“All I can express is the utmost gratitude for this award! Program on the Environment has encouraged me from day one to discover and act upon my passions. This award is going towards my tuition at the University of Washington.”

Tiara has credited several experiences at UW that have shaped her growth as a leader including: co-managing the ASUW Student Food Cooperative, being an orientation leader with First Year Programs, teaching as a peer TA, and being active within her Program on the Environment community.

“My experiences at the University of Washington have humbled me, and showed me that being a leader is so much more than a title. Thank you to everyone that has supported me, challenged me, and encouraged me to dream bigger. I am overwhelmed and grateful for this opportunity.”

Zaya

Growing up in a less privileged community helped Zaya better understand the environmental challenges less fortunate and under-represented social groups face. Having seen unethical mining business practices in Mongolia, her home country, Zaya chose to direct her Capstone Internship to address these practices.

“Last summer, I interned with the environmental team in Oyu Tolgoi, one of the world’s largest copper mining companies. Seeing environmentally and socially responsible actions the company has been taking, I am more hopeful that businesses and locals can collaborate for the good of the society and the environment.”

Besides working two jobs as a Conservation and Facilities assistant, Zaya is also working as a student research assistant for an air pollution project in the School of Engineering and conducting an independent study on the Mongolian ground jay, an endangered bird species. She is pursuing majors in Environmental Studies and Economics, and wants to work in the environmental consulting sector and help businesses grow more sustainably.

“The Environmental Leadership Scholarship is one source of generous financial support that has enabled me to work far less than before, so I could spend much more time doing research. More importantly, it was one great word of encouragement. Now I feel more encouraged than ever to continue what I initially really wanted without any self-doubt. I can do more!”